Kent Deaf Interpreting Service (KDIS)
KCC has set up Kent Deaf Interpreting Service (KDIS) to provide a range of communication services to people who are deaf or deafblind. Any public sector organisation in Kent can use the service.
They have a small team of in-house BSL interpreters, backed up by a framework of local interpreters and agencies to provider different types of communication support, including:
- British Sign Language (BSL)
- Deafblind Manual (visual-frame and hands-on)
- Social haptic communication
- Manual and electronic note taking
- Lip speaking (English and other languages)
- Palantypists and speech-to-text-reporting (STTR)
- Note taking.
- Documentation translation and audio-visual transcription
- In-vision translation