Skip to Content

To change the pages into other languages and reading choices, please click the orange speak.

03000 41 3000

Telephone Helpline open Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm

Support in School and College

If you have difficulty in learning or taking part in education because of your health needs, the school or college should give you support to help you to be included in your class. A school or college would tell you and your parents if they think you have special educational needs. This means you may be given work that is different to other students in your class and you may have extra support from your teacher or a teaching assistant.

Sometimes your school or college may not be able to give you all the support you need, and if you are not making expected progress you may need to have an Education, Health and Care needs assessment to find out what support you need.

Please see our leaflet Education Health and Care Needs Assessment. Or our Easy Read leaflet Finding out what support you need (Education Health and Care Needs Assessment).

Information gathered during an assessment may show that your school or college can support you without the need to have an Education, Health and Care plan. Or the assessment may show that you need to have an Education, Health and Care plan.

What is an Education, Health and Care Plan?

An Education, Health and Care plan is a legal document which describes your special educational needs, the support you need, and the outcomes you would like to achieve.

By having an Education, Health and Care plan, everyone who works with you will be aware of your needs and what they can do to support you.

Because it is a legal document, everyone must follow what is in your plan so you should have the best opportunity to do well.

It will help to focus on what you would like to work towards and what you want to achieve in the future.

From year 9, your plan should include a focus on preparing for adulthood, including employment, independent living and participation in society (being active in your local community such as having friends, going out or being part of a local group). This may also include a plan for moving from children’s to adult’s health or social care services.

It is a very important that you read and understand your Education, Health and Care plan and that it contains information that describes you and what your needs are and what you want to do in the future.

More about Education Health and Care (EHC) plans

What is an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan? (Updated 2019)

Please also see our leaflet Education, Health and Care Plans or our Easy Read leaflet Getting the right kind of support (EHCPs).

Find out how an EHC plan can be put together

What is a Person Centred Planning Meeting? (updated 2019)

If you have an Education, Health and Care Plan the plan will be reviewed on an annual basis. Please watch the video below to find out more:


Please also see this leaflet How to share your views for your annual review

Please contact us if you need any further information, advice or support by calling 03000 41 3000 or emailing